Heartfelt Life

Learning to live life with energy and gusto. Always live for today and think before I act.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

RACISM TODAY












Racism Lies Beneath the Smallest Stones
Racism: A topic I had always given a great deal of thought, but until today, all that thought was focused on how to fix the ills of "others" right the wrongs of those far away. Today, racism came home in a way I never imagined. No, not me, not at me. I am one of the lucky ones who has walked above that particular problem.
What I'm talking about is the realization of how pervasive bigotry & racism still is in small towns. 16 year old girls who get phone calls from fathers who ask "have you seen N***ers?" To which she replies "oh, they're everywhere." I thought I would fall over.
I don't know what to do with this. Racism is so completely intollerable to me. My family knows I have a zero tolerance policy on that. Despite not allowing such talk, I am aware that it takes place. What bothered me most was the cavalier attitude towards that talk. It was apparent that this teen did not feel there was anything wrong, shocking, or even curious.
My questions to all of this would be... How, in the 21st century, is it that there remains people who really believe that skin defines a person? Why are these people being allowed to continue? If lynching was legal because of someone's color, maybe it should be legal for attitudes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home